The launch of Kangana Ranaut’s new reality show – Lock Upp has been postponed due to some copyright issues raised by the original copyright owner of the concept. After being accused of plagiarising the concept of the show, it got into a legal dispute, after which the Hyderabad court issued a stay order for the launch.
The show was revealed by Ekta Kapoor and Kangana Ranaut last month, and it was officially unveiled at an event in Mumbai earlier this month. According to the concept, 16 well-known celebrities will be imprisoned in Kangana Ranaut’s jail, where they will struggle for the most necessities while competing for the title of winner. The audience will also have the opportunity to communicate with the participants and become an integral part of the show.
The Audience will have the access to punish or reward any celebrity as per their choice.
Who will be in the Lock Upp?
Kaaranvir, Nisha Rawal (who is a TV actress and model), Munawar Faruqui (stand-up comedian), Poonam Pandey (online phenomenon), and Babita Phogat (wrestling champion) have all been confirmed for the show so far.
It’ll be interesting to watch whether the show’s premiere plans are canceled and a new release date is announced. Ekta Kapoor has yet to make an official statement in response to the news.
Hyderabad court issues stay order for Lock Upp
The City Civil Court of Hyderabad has given an ad-interim order on Kangana Ranaut’s upcoming show ‘Lock Upp,’ which was scheduled to air on Sunday, 27th Feb 2022.
Following a hearing and a review of petitioner Sanober Baig’s documentation, the order was issued. Sanober Baig is the sole owner of the plot and script for the concept ‘The Jail.’ Shantanu Ray and Sheershak Anand wrote the program concept, which was registered under the copyright statute on March 7, 2018. It’s been registered with the Film Writers Association.
Sanober Baig in Shock
“When I saw the promo of the said show I was in shock. I have been in touch with Abhishek Rege from Endemol Shine for a long time and had several meetings about the subject in Hyderabad. He had promised that we will get going once the market gets better,” Baig added
“The show is similar to our concept and an absolute copy of the same. I could not believe that somebody could plagiarise the concept to such an extent. We have prayed to the court for infringement of the copyright and have got a stay order,” he continued
Baig has stated how the concept was formed and also explained the concept in detail in his petition, a copy of which is with Siasat.com, detailing the money he put at various stages of concept development.
The defendant production houses(Ekta Kapoor’s AltBalaji) will be held accountable under the Copyright Act’s sections 51 and 52 If the infringement is proven
“I have connected with the respective companies and requested them not to go ahead with the concept. But they turned a deaf ear and challenged that they have every right to stream as per the schedule. I had no option but to seek redressal from the judiciary. The notice has been served to all the parties involved and we have the acknowledgment of the same. If the show gets aired it’ll be a contempt of the court. I have full faith in the judiciary and am sure that justice will be served,” Baig said.
The court also recorded a video clip from the ‘Lock Upp trailer, concluding that the two films are visually identical. The court granted an injunction with an urgent notice barring the show’s broadcast because it was scheduled to broadcast on February 27, 2022.
As a result, no electronic or social media outlet will be able to access the broadcast.